Tuesday, July 6, 2010

An Exceptional Guest

This year’s 4th of July holiday included a welcome extra day off, giving me time for a few garden “chores”.  I just replaced a blade on one of my Felco pruners and was testing them out on the coral honeysuckle that grows around my rain tank.  An odd leaf attracted my attention … do you see it?
CamoMothJuly2010
It’s a Eumorpha pandorus, also known as a Pandora Sphinx moth or camouflage moth.  Here’s a peek at the underside, too.
CamoUndersideJuly2010 
In my garden, 2010’s been a great year for Lepidoptera, especially giant swallowtails.  But this?!!  WOW.  I have no idea where it came from or how I happened to see it, but it was certainly an honored guest.   
Anyone see these regularly in their garden or know their migration route? 

7 comments:

Wizzie Brown said...

So beautiful!

vbdb said...

A face only an entomologist could love? Thanks, Wizzie, for understanding.

Bob said...

I don't think they migrate but I could be wrong. I have a lot more fish if you need any. And I have your trellis as well. Are you coming to the next Go go? I will bring it if you are.

vbdb said...

I'd love more fish, but my partner in ponds is certain we have enough. We also have a tiny new frog, as well as the old one who's been with us for 3 years (?) now.

Probably need to make a trip out your way to pick up the trellis. Wanted to ask you about the possibility of making a small gate, too.

LindaCTG said...

Wow, thanks for posting this! I'll keep an eye out in my garden. I'm seeing insects that have never been here before.

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

That is so cool. I've never seen one in my garden. Thanks for bringing it/her? to our attention.~~Dee

vbdb said...

Dee, you're so welcome. Thanks for dropping by.