Saturday, February 16, 2013

Damp Wings and Early Flight


Did you know that just before emerging, a Monarch chrysalis will turn dark and you can see the markings of the butterfly's wings?  My stowaway greenhouse guests are giving me a chance to watch their development from a front row seat.  


You did know about the color change?  Well, have you seen a Monarch immediately after emergence as it unfurls its damp wings and pale green jewels of liquid drip from their surfaces?


This is the second of my unexpected guests to fly off this week.  Although I'd happily serve them nectar and allow them to stay until it's warmer, captivity isn't the best thing for a Monarch.  I open the greenhouse door, and like a worried parent let them find their way.

6 comments:

Jason said...

I did not know that about the Monarch. I have seen some caterpillars on my milkweed but never the chrysalis. You're very lucky!

Linda/patchwork said...

Very cool. It must be really fun to watch this.

It was nice to finally meet you in person, yesterday.

Pam/Digging said...

Beautiful creatures. So cool that you got to enjoy them up close and personal this way.

vbdb said...

Thanks everyone! They're pretty awe inspiring and there's another departure anticipated today.

Nelson said...

Awesome.. Never had any idea about monarch. Glad that you share it and the images was awesome.

brisbane retaining walls said...

That looks pretty cool. I bet it must be fun watching those wonderful creatures in your garden. Nice share!