Skip to main content

High Anxiety

Now that it's aired, I will confess that my little suburban garden was recently featured on Central Texas Gardener.   Months of freaking out with every deep freeze, every plant that suddenly died, every arbor destroyed by freakish winds - in other words, every event that might naturally occur in the garden with the changing seasons -  all that nervous panic is finally over and I can go back to simply playing outside. 

Why a "confession", rather than being pleased as punch?  Something about having my garden on CTG feels like bragging.  And in my eyes my garden is messy, my own personal playground - not something worthy of a segment on that wonderful program.  It's where I go to test out new skills, like digging a pondbuilding a rainwater harvesting system, creating an insect hotel, making a vermicomposting bin, or putting together a greenhouse with the help of a few friends.  

Having my garden "go public" temporarily destroyed its tranquility.



My garden doesn't feature a lovely design where your eye is drawn to the next focal point, with decorative elements artfully placed and given space to shine, structural plants pleasingly accented with others of just the right shapes and colors.   

It's messy.  It's imperfect.  It's a rain-collecting, insect attracting, herb growing, pollinator habitat.  It's my own personal playground and quiet retreat.  It's where I get to be a kid.  And now I can remember why I love it rather than worrying about whether or not you'll like it.  Of course, I really hope you do.

In spite of my grumbling, I do want to extend my sincere thanks to Linda (producer) and Ed (photographer) of CTG, for doing their darndest to make me look good.

Please leave a comment and tell me how your garden makes you feel.  

All material © 2014 by Vicki Blachman for Playin' Outside
Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.





Comments

Hella W. said…
Hi Vicki,
Loved your garden on CTG and how happy the Kumquat looks! It really has found a good home.
Hella
outlawgardener said…
Congratulations on having your garden featured! I feel much the same about my garden. Not artfully done, just a place for me to play with plants and junque.
outlawgardener said…
OMG! I just watched the piece and girl, you and your garden look fabulous! LOVE both!
vbdb said…
Aw shucks. Glad you liked it - wish you could visit, Outlaw.
katina said…
I haven't seen the segment yet - it's recorded, but I've got a massive backlog of CTGs to get through. But I, personally, think your yard is gorgeous (since I was there the week before CTG recording, I think I'm allowed to say that, right?). I think my yard looks like crap right now, but the bees and butterflies seem to like it so it's all good. I think I'm going to have to do some massive overhauls over the winter, though...
danger garden said…
I love this! Bravo! You are such a natural and it was great to see your wonderful garden. You also wrote something I've thought about "Having my garden "go public" temporarily destroyed its tranquility"...while I loved having you all here for the Fling I don't think I will be a regular "opener" - it's just not how I want to experience my space.
vbdb said…
Hella, so happy you saw the kumquat. Yes, it struggled a bit but now produces like crazy. Turns out it loves having coffee grounds and leftover coffee (black, of course) added to the soil fairly often for a nitrogen boost.
vbdb said…
Danger - I hear you but am so grateful you let us see it during the Fling!
katina said…
Just watched your CTG yesterday - it was wonderful!
Pam/Digging said…
I've always liked that Central Texas Gardener keeps it real. The featured gardens are real, tended by real gardeners, and they're not overly fussed and primped although they ARE lovely and interesting. All this is to say I don't think it's bragging to let people know your garden was featured. Not because one's garden isn't "worthy," but because the show is about real gardens -- and having one, in my opinion, is something to be proud of! Your interview was personable and thoughtful, you were poised and confident, and your garden looked as beautiful as I remember. Congratulations!
Rock rose said…
Allowing the tv crews into your garden so that you can share it with others shows your generous nature. There are so many who will have gained inspiration from your projects and with the knowledge that they too can do the same things. Thanks for the chance of another visit.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho-hum to Habitat: My Path to Native Bees - Resources

San Antonio's Festival of Flowers will resume this Saturday, June 3, 2023, after a break of three years.    I've been given the opportunity to share how I garden, as well as a general overview of our native bees.   A link to a Google doc containing my handout (the info dense slides from my presentation) follows this list of resources.  Note that if you didn't attend, some of the handout pages may not make complete sense.     Hyperlinks to more resources: https://www.wildbeestexas.com/ https://w3.biosci.utexas.edu/jha/research/native-bee-communities https://www.wildflower.org/collections/collection.php?collection=TX_central https://www.pollinator.org/pollinator.org/assets/generalFiles/BeginnerBeeFieldGuide_11March2022_LowRez.pdf https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/wildlife_diversity/nongame/native-pollinators/bumblebee-id.phtml https://www.pollinatorphotos.com/ https://www.homegrownnationalpark.org/       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOIlJFjzgAlhc5nfTXkqrVutPxWHLwfQ/vie

A Plant with Purple Leaves

There are a couple of groups on Facebook where I lurk and occasionally dip my opinion into the fray.  They're places where people with knowledge of unbelievable scope can be observed, deftly identifying this obscure native plant or that scraggly left-behind orphan found in the backyard of a newly purchased home.   One such backyard orphan recently was posted in need of identification.   If it were a native plant, two people on "Texas Flora" would've named it within minutes.  Even the taxonomy of those impossible grasses is typically put to rest in seconds.  Not so with this poor guy.   At first I was fairly certain it was one of the purple leafed basils, maybe 'African Blue'.  It's fairly impossible to find it still thriving in a Texas January, but two plants in my yard are still hanging in there.  They even look like they'll come back if we don't have a deep freeze before spring.  BTW, this basil has one heck of a botanical monik

Ho-hum to Habitat

  For lack of a better way to reach everyone in person and online who attended my presentation to Williamson County Master Gardeners on 08 May 2023, I'm posting a handout here.  These are only the slides that were particularly info dense, so forgive the lack of context if you weren't an attendee.  Note that the list in the handout is only suggested for Travis and Williamson Counties - the Wildflower Center will have suggestions tailored to your specific location, and NOT just in Texas! These are live links to some of the items shown:  The Wildflower Center , The Jha Bee Lab , NPSOT's plant lists by Texas region , NPSOT Wilco ,  and finally, Lynne & Jim Weber (their books are available at your local bookstore & on Amazon.) T here's a world of other resources, too!  Check out Sam Drogge's incredible photography at the USGS Bee Inventory , follow Heather Holm on Facebook and read her books, follow Carol Clark on her blog "Carol's World" .  Seri