Skip to main content

Wildflower Wednesday - Ironweed

Ironweed 

Vernonia fasciculata is my pick for Wildflower Wednesday as it's just starting to bloom in my garden and is one of my all-time favorites.  One look at that color, and its mop of flowers often covered with bees, and I knew it belonged in my garden.
But where to find it?  As with too many native plants, it wasn't available locally so I deployed an even better option - found it in a field slated for commercial development, asked permission,  and "rescued" several.
It took a couple of years to seem happy, but now it dies to the ground each winter only to return the following late spring/early summer to make me and the bees happy.
Evidently ironweed doesn't make everyone happy.  Check out this quote I found online:  
"Ironweed was named for its rugged stalks, which stubbornly persist throughout the winter. Its underground stems are equally tenacious, sending up sprouts even when repeatedly mowed. The plant's vivid purple flowers may look lovely in a cityscape, but they are a bane in the pasture."
Do you have a favorite wildflower?  Wildflower Wednesday was started by my friend Gail on her blog "Clay and Limestone" to celebrate the native plants that sustain our native bees and pollinators.  Share yours - and follow Gail - to encourage a bit of re-wilding in our gardens.



Comments

Rock rose said…
Well done. Must ry not myself but have too many problems with the new blogger. I tried switching over to new blogger but switched back. Undoubtedly we will learn.
Gail said…
I love Ironweed. I have the tall species and sometimes give it the Chelsey chop so keep it in bounds! So glad you are sharing a wildflower. xoxo
Rock rose said…
Why is it so difficult to find the best native plants? I would love to find this and also clematis. Impossible. And yet I see them growing out in the wild.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho-hum to Habitat: My Path to Native Bees - Resources

San Antonio's Festival of Flowers will resume this Saturday, June 3, 2023, after a break of three years.    I've been given the opportunity to share how I garden, as well as a general overview of our native bees.   A link to a Google doc containing my handout (the info dense slides from my presentation) follows this list of resources.  Note that if you didn't attend, some of the handout pages may not make complete sense.     Hyperlinks to more resources: https://www.wildbeestexas.com/ https://w3.biosci.utexas.edu/jha/research/native-bee-communities https://www.wildflower.org/collections/collection.php?collection=TX_central https://www.pollinator.org/pollinator.org/assets/generalFiles/BeginnerBeeFieldGuide_11March2022_LowRez.pdf https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/wildlife_diversity/nongame/native-pollinators/bumblebee-id.phtml https://www.pollinatorphotos.com/ https://www.homegrownnationalpark.org/       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOIlJFjzgAlhc5nfTXkqrVutPxWHLwfQ/vie

A Plant with Purple Leaves

There are a couple of groups on Facebook where I lurk and occasionally dip my opinion into the fray.  They're places where people with knowledge of unbelievable scope can be observed, deftly identifying this obscure native plant or that scraggly left-behind orphan found in the backyard of a newly purchased home.   One such backyard orphan recently was posted in need of identification.   If it were a native plant, two people on "Texas Flora" would've named it within minutes.  Even the taxonomy of those impossible grasses is typically put to rest in seconds.  Not so with this poor guy.   At first I was fairly certain it was one of the purple leafed basils, maybe 'African Blue'.  It's fairly impossible to find it still thriving in a Texas January, but two plants in my yard are still hanging in there.  They even look like they'll come back if we don't have a deep freeze before spring.  BTW, this basil has one heck of a botanical monik

Ho-hum to Habitat

  For lack of a better way to reach everyone in person and online who attended my presentation to Williamson County Master Gardeners on 08 May 2023, I'm posting a handout here.  These are only the slides that were particularly info dense, so forgive the lack of context if you weren't an attendee.  Note that the list in the handout is only suggested for Travis and Williamson Counties - the Wildflower Center will have suggestions tailored to your specific location, and NOT just in Texas! These are live links to some of the items shown:  The Wildflower Center , The Jha Bee Lab , NPSOT's plant lists by Texas region , NPSOT Wilco ,  and finally, Lynne & Jim Weber (their books are available at your local bookstore & on Amazon.) T here's a world of other resources, too!  Check out Sam Drogge's incredible photography at the USGS Bee Inventory , follow Heather Holm on Facebook and read her books, follow Carol Clark on her blog "Carol's World" .  Seri